Education, Training, and Experience
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science University of Washington, 1967
Sound Home Inspections, Inc. President/Owner 1987 - 2012
The Sound Home Resource Center (http://www.soundhome.com
) Owner/Author since 1978
Sound Home Inspections Inc. specialized in pre-purchase inspections, construction inspections, consultations, management, education, and expert witness services. Specific services include:
- Inspection, supervision and coordination of new construction and remodeling work;
- Selection and coordination of work with architects, designers, structural and soils engineers, excavation firms, municipal inspectors and other building officials;
- Building site analysis, review of building plans and specifications, review of engineering reports, and coordination (translation) with clients.
- Commercial and residential work progress inspections.
- Value engineering;
- Analysis of complex residential construction projects and the coordination and supervision of any required work and/or corrective steps;
- Advise home and building owners about the need for experts in complex construction projects related potential liability issues;
- Advocacy and owner representation; and,
- Expert witness in residential and commercial construction legal cases.
The Sound Home Resource Center (http://www.soundhome.com) is a home improvement Internet site. It is designed to assist homeowners and perspective homeowners in making informed decisions about the purchase, construction, remodeling, and maintenance of their home. Publications
- Special correspondent to the Seattle Times, Stanwood News, Puget Sound Power and various other print and Internet publications.
- Authored, coordinated and updated "Stoneway's Guide to Roofing Materials for the Pacific Northwest," 6 editions.
- Radio/Television KING 1090's Home Improvement Show Host. 1990-95. KIRO Radio Home Improvement Shows with Drake Collier KOMO, KCTS, and KIRO Television Home Improvement Reports 1990-2000.
- Instructor Washington Association of Realtors (Energy and Construction) Northwest Owner Builder Center University of Washington Law School (C.L.E. Program) Seattle/King County Bar Association (C.L.E. Program)
Licenses, Membership and Awards
- Washington State Home Inspection License #321
- Washington State Department of Agriculture (Commercial) Pest Control Consultant #42810.
- Past Member: State of Washington Building Code Council Technical Advisory Group (TAG) 2002-2005. The TAG reviews and comments on proposed changes to the State Energy Code.
- Energy Business Association, founding board member
- Washington Passive Solar Design Award (1981)
- Seattle Master Builders Excellence in Remodeling Awards (1984 & 1986)
Previous Work History
- Owner, George Guttmann General Contracting, Inc., 1978-1987
- Director, Bureau of Youth Affairs, 1972–1978, King County
- Peace Corps Volunteer, San Paulo, Brazil, 1968-1971 Community Organizer, Self-help Housing Project Manager
- Expert on over 100 contested construction related legal cases in King, Snohomish, and Pierce County.
- Qualified as an expert witness at trial in more than 30 construction-related cases in Superior Courts in the State of Washington.
- Qualified and appeared as an expert in several construction related arbitration cases conducted by the American Arbitration Association or pursuant to the court's mandatory arbitration rules.